Jul 1, 2016

Summer's Bounty and Stocking the Freezer


I love all the fresh fruit and vegetables that are available throughout the Summer. I like to get them at this time of year in bulk when they are on sale and then freeze them as veggie packets.  

It does take some prep time up front to make it happen but the result is a freezer stash of fresh, quality veggie packets that make meal time prep SO easy!   




Zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, onions.


When I make the veggie packets in bulk, I treat myself and put on an audio book and get to chopping! I store the veggies in quart zip log bags in the freezer and they are good for up to six months. 

I use them mostly for soups, chunky veggie spaghetti sauce, quiches, casseroles, veggie burritos, etc.   




Veggie Freezer Packet Combos:


Summertime Blend

Zucchini
Summer Squash
Red Onions
Yellow Onions
Bell peppers
Mushrooms
Corn

Wintertime Blend

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Red Onions*
Mushrooms


* any kind of onions or mix of onions is great. I just like to add a splash of red into the winter time mix. 

No comments: