Jun 29, 2016

Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions ~ Easy and so delicious!






I had an over abundance of  onions that I needed to use rather quickly so I decided to  try out a recipe that I've had in my collection for some time but hadn't made yet ...   


Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions


Recipe Source: Unknown

I'm not sure where I got this recipe and was unable to pull it up on the internet, though I found a lot of similar recipes. If any of you recognize this recipe and know the author, please send me an email or leave me a comment so I can give them credit).



Ingredients

12 small to medium sized yellow onions
3 medium sized red onions
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions: 
Halve, peel, and thinly slice all of the onions. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the bottom of the slow-cooker's crock.


Add about half of the onions, sprinkle about half of the salt over the onions, drizzle another 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and repeat with the remaining onions, salt, and olive oil.
Sprinkle the thyme over everything and then use tongs to toss the contents so the onions are evenly coated with oil.
Place the lid on the crock, turn the heat to HIGH, and let it cook for 9-10 hours, stirring and flipping the contents from bottom to top after 1 hour and again after 3 hours.  
After those two stirs, you should not need to keep agitating the contents of the slow cooker unless your cooker runs hot. If you know it runs hot, it wouldn't hurt to move the onions around every couple of hours to prevent scorching.
When the onions are deep golden brown to medium brown, turn the slow-cooker off and portion out the onions into freezer safe containers.  


Tip: I had to use two 5 quart crock pots for the above recipe to start out with till the onions cooked down some.  

{Results}



The above picture is not the best one but let me assure you ~ the onions came out fantastic!  
Some recipes say to drain the liquid off the onions and then freeze them but I let them cool down, bagged them with just some of the liquid and then put them in the freezer.    
These  caramelized onions will be great in casseroles, quiches, sandwiches, soups, hamburgers ... the possibilities are endless! 

No comments: