We had a lot of rainy weather this past week/weekend so it gave me an opportunity to make a family favorite - Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
I served it up with some biscuits and a side salad. This was so easy to make and tasted absolutely delicious.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Serves 8 – 10
Adapted from a Taste of Home Recipe – Favorite Irish Stew
· 1/3 cup flour
· 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
· 3 tablespoons of oil
· 3 medium onions, diced
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 4 cups beef broth
· 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
· 4 medium carrots, sliced into ½ inch half moons (cut carrots length wise in half , then slice width wise into half moons)
· 1 cup frozen green beans
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· ½ teaspoon pepper
· ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Music your taste buds!
1. Place 1/3 cup flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, shake to coat.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Saute beef cubes in batches, setting beef aside until all is browned.
3. In the same skillet, add one more tablespoon of oil and when heated, saute onions and carrots until they are tender. Add garlic; cook one minute longer. Remove and set aside.
4. Pour about ¼ cup of beef broth, worcestershire sauce, and seasonings into the skillet. Bring to slow boil working to loosen all the browned bits of flavor from the bottom of the pan.
5. Place potatoes into the bottom of a 4 quart slow cooker. Layer beef over the potatoes, then vegetables, frozen green beans and broth from skillet.
6. Pour the rest of the beef broth over the meat and vegetables gently mixing all ingredients. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.