Still, there's just something about a bowl of hot soup on a cold fall or winter night. This one is one of our family's favorites.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced (try mixing different types of onions for great flavor!)
- 2 sticks of butter/margarine
- 8 – 10 cups beef broth (4-5 cans)
- 4-5 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8-10 slices French bread, toasted
- Mozzarella cheese for bread
1. In slow cooker, combine onions and butter, broth, bay leaves and salt, and worcestershire.
2. The onions need room to cook thoroughly so if you're using a 6 quart slow cooker the cooking time will be on low for 8-10 hours. If you are using a 4 quart slow cooker - cook on low for 10-12 hours.
3. Scoop out the bay leaves if possible and pour hot soup into bowls. Top with a slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese.