Oct 30, 2008

Confessions of A Harried Homemaker


No, my kitchen doesn't really look like this but I do have a confession to make. I've been meaning to share a secret with y'all for some time but I didn't want anyone to think any less of me. Yes, I can cook and I do it well but when it comes to home-management......um....I am not gifted! Ouch, that hurt to type that but at least I've confessed. I've admitted my challenges and maybe there is hope for me yet-LOL!

What brought all this on? Well, I've noticed that since I went part time, I no longer have the excuse of "I'm working, can't keep the house up" anymore. Now that I'm getting good sleep during the week I can't convince myself that the dust on the desk, toys all over the floor and dishes mounted in the sink may be a sleep deprived hallucination. I tried, really I did...but reality hit when I closed my eyes and re-opened them (several times) and it was all. still. there. (Or maybe it was the lego that I stepped on (double ouch!) when I closed my eyes.)

What did I do next? Did I get out a mop and broom? NO...I remembered from my childhood that there was a person called a Fairy Godmother. She was available to create miracles in my life. I clicked my heels (uh no, wrong movie), twitched my nose (uh, no, that was Samantha of Bewitched). Hmm...being a bit bemused that my Fairy Godmother didn't just pop in when I thought about her, I just called out "Calgon..take me away. I need my Fairy Godmother". I waited and waited. A few minutes (hours?) went by and still nothing. Let me tell you....she must have been having her nails done or out on a hot date because she never showed. Can you believe that?

Reality sunk in (finally) and I awoke from my dust induced stupor. I did get the mop and broom out and promptly carried them over to my desk. Did I clean? Nope, I did what any self-respecting blog addict would do. I sat down at the internet and googled for all the blogs that deal with homemaking, organizational tips and creative decorating ideals. (What? Wouldn't you do that?) Luck shined upon me and tons of blogs appeared on my screen. All is right with the world.

I am now going through them all on a quest to create a comfy, clean and well organized home. I would say peaceful but with two wonderful and active boys, a dog, a cat, neighborhood kids coming and going, a small but great home...peaceful is not something that we have here often. Still, I wouldn't trade it at all (except when the cat decides to bring me his kill and drops it on my bare foot before I have had a chance to have coffee.) YUCK! I'm told that it's a sign the cat loves me but really, at least let me have my coffee first.