Homemade Chicken Stock

While my neck of the woods was being pelted with freezing ice, rain and snow last week, I finally found the time to make a huge batch of homemade chicken stock.





I love cooking homemade stock in the slow cooker -it's so simple. Just chop and drop the ingredients into the cooker, add water and let it slow cook for 16-24 hours. It can't get any easier than that!

An added bonus is that while it's cooking your house will smell divine! :)

Homemade Chicken Stock

Adapted from a recipe in The Best Diabetes Slow Cooker Cookbook
(This is a wonderful cookbook. Every recipe I've made from this book just comes out fantastic!)
Ingredients:

4 pounds of chicken with skin and bones
3 onions, coarsely chopped ( I quarter the onions)
4 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
4 stalks of celery, washed and coarsely chopped
6 sprigs of parsley ( I used one large bunch of cilantro as that is what I had on hand)
3 bay leaves
10 black peppercorns, whole
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
4 cloves of garlic, mashed but left whole
12 cups of water

Directions:

In a large (6 quart or greater) slow cooker combine all the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 16-24 hours.

Check the slow cooker around the 12 -14 hour mark to see if you need to add another 2-4 cups of water to keep the liquid level high.

Once it is done cooking, strain it and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. 

In the morning, the fat will be ready to be skimmed off. 



The broth will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.

I skimmed as much of the fat off as I could, packaged it in quart zip lock bags then labeled and froze it.





I doubled the recipe and it yielded 21 cups of rich, wonderful tasting chicken stock. It's darker than standard chicken broth but that's because it has so much flavor.


I can't wait to make my next soup with this!