Italian Sub Soup
Adapted from recipe by Rachael Ray
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 3/4 pound, 3 links, hot or sweet Italian sausage, split and meat removed from casing (we use half hot and half sweet sausage)
- 1/4 pound piece stick pepperoni, diced
- 1 ham steak, diced (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- couple handfuls of vermicelli pasta
- 2 bunches spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- tomato paste, 6 0z
- Place a soup pot or deep sided skillet on the stove top and pre-heat to medium high heat. Add olive oil, 2 turns of the pan and the sausage.
- Brown and crumble the sausage, drain off excess fat if necessary then add the ham and pepperoni.
- Cook meats together 2 minutes then add peppers and onions and cook 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken stock and bring soup to a boil.
- Stir in pasta and cook for 8 minutes. Stir spinach into soup just before you serve it!